Did you know that being authentic and true to yourself can be one of the best things you can do for your health and well-being? Have you noticed that it actually takes work and causes you stress when you are not being true to yourself?
A medieval mystic, Mechthild of Magdeburg once said, “A fish cannot drown in water. A bird does not fall in air. Each creature God made must live in its own true nature.” When we’re trying to fit a false image, we drown or fall. When we are true to our nature, we boundlessly thrive.
Here are a few tips for living authentically that might be helpful:
- Know your purpose. Life becomes so much more meaningful when we have a purpose that is tied to who we are. It makes us want to get out of bed in the morning and contribute to the world around us. Staying true to your purpose will energize you rather than drain you.
- Live in the flow. The flow is a powerful state of being where life seems to be moving effortlessly. You feel relaxed and present. You feel completely absorbed by the task at hand. Hours go by without recognition— often filled with high creativity and productivity. Think about times when you experience this feeling. Be sure to bring these activities into your life as often as you can. Spending more time in the flow will make you happier and allow you to give your best self to the world.
- Quiet your mind. Take a few moments every day to quiet your mind. Some of us are afraid of the silence and others don’t value it. We tend to fill our days to the max. Even when we do have down time, we often choose to watch television instead of sitting quietly and allowing our minds to rest. Quieting the mind allows you to sort through the noise and get back to being true to yourself.
- Don’t be afraid of failure. If you knew you could not fail, what would you do? We can accomplish amazing things when we take the fear of failure out of the equation. Don’t let the fear stop you from following your authentic path and being the largest version of you. As Thomas Edison said, “I have not failed, just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
- Trust your inner guide. You know what is right for you. You simply need to be open enough to hear it and courageous enough to listen and act. When something doesn’t feel right, trust that instinct. Don’t let anyone talk you out of trusting the gut feeling you have. It really works.
Do you feel free to be you? If not, what steps can you take to feel that freedom?
Want some guidance? Contact Health Nook for a Holistic Health Consultation.